March 04, 2010

Pop My Heart Strings!

Have you ever had a crush on someone and when you finally get them its only exciting in the beginning? Just like getting that new job that you've been killing yourself for, everything is new and interesting then creeps in the late hours, excessive workload and competitive coworkers. Well this was my scenario when Xavier entered my world. For the first time ever I had a crush on a guy. We were both New Yorkers but away at school ran in different circles. My circle consisted of the"trendy, popular kids" that was always out and about. Xavier's group was a mix of people with a range of just different, they were more about artistry and music. Many of my males friends felt that X. wasn't in my league but I had more in common with him then put on. Yes, I adore fashion but art and books are a favorite pastime of mine. When we started getting to know each other he expressed that he had mutual feelings for me but backed off cause I seemed materialistic and uppity and while that may be true I needed for him to take a deeper look inside my cover. Since we started "talking" at the end of the school year the summer was open to whatever, we would both be back in NY away from any unnecessary drama. That particular summer I was accepted into an intense internship program but talking to him always made the stressful days seem so much better. Many nights I was exhausted but when Xavier called it was like he put a battery in my back. The way we talked for hours you would've assumed we were in a long-distance relationship but he was only a bridge away.

During one week I got a new car and wanted him to be the first to see it. So I suggested he come over and hang out cause I was done with the just talking.After many excuses of why that was impossible on his end due to no car or knowing how to get to me, I thought maybe he wasn't as into it as I was…. so I went out anyway. Surprisingly, he called back stating that he was already on the road and will see me soon. Of course I was ecstatic, again battery placed in back! We drove to midtown, in the summer New York with the lights beaming can be breathtaking. Xavier and I, drunk, walked and danced in the streets all night until settling on a bench near a fountain. While having a heart to heart X. mentioned that we met before and proceed to relive this story of us being kids at a party where he liked me but I was mean to him which is possible, I was a mean lil girl. Now this could be anybody's story but he then described my attire which is ironic that I knew exactly what he was referring to since my mother has a picture of me in the outfit on her nightstand. Could this be possible that a boy I met at age 6 is the same man I'm dating at 20 yrs. old? As the night came to an end we had corny moments of chasing each other to my car where he then broke my keychain but assured me he could fix anything. As I watched him struggle with my keys he looked up, caught me gaze, dropped them and
brought his face to mine…we shared our first kiss. The lights weren't the only things beaming anymore.

Moving forward we continued seeing each other but the summer was over and it was time to go back to school, now here will be the real test. Once back at school we settled into a relationship. Many dates, cooking for each other and I even had my own space at his apt.(lol u know that's major). Things were moving along great well that was until his ex wanted to come back into the picture, I went on a trip with my ex and then X. decided to become this hot boy. The once shy guy who criticized my materialistic ways was now taking note. Xavier went from zero to sixty within a week. Insert, the excessive workload and competitive coworkers! Him and his friends decided to form a rap group and his role was the flashy one. Now everything I mentioned he brought, this may sound good cause what girl doesn't want her boo to dress equally as nice but changing styles ended up changing the person.

2 comments:

  1. Never been to NY yet but I will be looking forward to a night like that,this summer.Btw ur description of it and the Jay-z song I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I love the summer romance you had going on, its always fun being outside and enjoying life with a guy especially in the city. Sadly they don't last, if it does then you are lucky. I do not know why but when things get back to reality people (men and women) forget all about what was and it just goes wrong. I am disappointed though, when I was reading I got excited for you but this BOY ruined my story by fucking up!

    ReplyDelete